Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Angel Bootcut Jean with the Delila Top

I have been sewing a lot lately....on my jeans!  I've put hours into them.  This is the first time I have distressed jeans where I achieved great results and I'm so happy with them.  I've made them twice before, here and here.  My pattern was already traced, so I just went with previous alterations, but this time I raised my knee on the pattern by a couple of inches.  I noticed with my two previous pairs that I had some buckling of fabric at the back knee area.  


I do have Angela Wolf's Craftsy class on how to make these and I highly recommend it.  She shows you step by step how to assemble, as well as how to distress your denim.  Distressing is a lot of fun.  I would sew and then just work on the distressing outside on a board.  I got a little carried away on my waistband and ended up with a tiny hole from the sandpaper.  Boo.  I whipped out my fabric glue and covered it really good and just went with it and top stitched over the area.  You can't really tell.


I made another Delila, but this time in a long sleeve.  I love this top.  I especially love the long sleeve cuffs!  I started with a very dark navy blue and used dye remover on it.  I ended up with a little yellow, green, and a kind of purple tint.  Removing dye is exciting!  You just don't know how it is all going to look until you pop off those rubber bands at the end of the wash.  Hmm, how many dyed tops would be too many?  I seriously want to try one in every color.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




8 comments:

  1. Both makes are lovely and go so well together! I'd love to give distressing denim a go, just as soon as I actually make some jeans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are very talented and I have no doubt that you can make jeans. They really aren't that difficult. Have you heard of Jalie patterns? They have a jeans pattern that would be a great start for you.

      Delete
  2. You are an expert at sewing jeans, Shirley - so professional... and now distressed, too. I am in awe. They look great with the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I have made several pairs now between me and my kids. They aren't perfect, but my husband said, "neither are the ones you buy in the store!" That is true, so I'm happy!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic, Shirley! Love love love the jeans! I am really inspired by work. The top is cute too!

    P.S Did you change your hair style and colour? I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I worked really, really hard on these jeans. They are like a work of art to me with all the distressing. The color of my hair is what I have when all the color I put on it fades out! It's a blondish, grayish, golden-streaked color. I've been wondering if I should color again, so thank you for mentioning it. The style is the same, but normally I try to curl or do something. The pics lately I have done nothing to it. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this whole outfit! I can't believe how cool your shirts turn out using that method! it's genius! And your jeans.... they are fantastic - really a work of art like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so ready for winter now. I haven't even been able to wear this outfit out yet because it is too hot still.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!